It might not have been the season we were looking for in terms of results, but the Rollers made sure the awards evening was a night to be remembered.
Held on April 29 at Nico Rheeder’s house, it was an evening of fun, lots of laughs and, ultimately, some acts of debauchery.
But before the clothes came off there were a number of awards to be handed out, with Dave Hillman scooping the Roller of the Year award for the incredible fighting spirit and positive attitude he has shown during such a troubled year. And despite the setbacks, still making time to drive through to come and support the team. A true Roller!
Batsman of the Season went to Neville Cooper, who scored 299 runs at an average of 49.8. Honourable mentions went out to Ryan Cooper (231 runs @ 77) and Louis Pretorius (151 runs @ 21.6).
Bowler of the Season was once again scooped by Hannes Carlson, who picked up 16 wickets at 10.1 per wicket, with best bowling figures of 7-0-28-5. Honourable mentions went to Cornell Keulder (12 wickets @ 15) and Nickey Rheeder (7 wickets at 21.7).
Ryan Cooper picked up the Best Fielder award for his 10 dismissals.
Then we also had some fun awards which were washed down with some tequila and sours:
* The Hannes Engelbrecht extended spell award (longest over) – Louis Pretorius vs WPCC (one 12-ball over, one 11-ball over)
* The William Wallace psyche-up award – Cornell Keulder (Pakistani drill-press)
* The Farmer Brown award (most ducks) – Hannes Engelbrecht & Nico Rheeder (2)
* The Gert van Rooyen award – Neville Cooper for getting done by a 15-year-old against Groot Drak
* The Dan van Bunge award (most runs in an over) – Hannes Moore (23 vs Robertson)
* The Claude Louw hypochondriac award – Louis Pretorius
* The John Wayne award (quickest on the draw) – Hannes Moore for his speed at getting hitched
* Phantom award – Andy du Toit & Ryan Goslett
* The Neville Cooper ‘awesome’ award (best catch) – Daryn Geldenhuys (vs Squirrels)
Chirp of the Season: Dronk Charl classic in the changerooms after the Gardens game while discussing Slang’s real age: “Kom ons sny sy tril af en tel die ringe, dan weet ons mos’
So a lot of fun and dancing to be had after the awards and curry rooties. Once again a big thanks to everyone who came and contributed, and to Slang and Angela for letting us wreck their place.